Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Gracie Girl

For my birthday the year Gracie was born, my Mom gave us (it was for Don for Father’s Day too) a Ben Folds CD. Ben Folds of Ben Folds Five (he lost the other four and now its just him). I was confused because never in my life have I said, ” Mom, I really really LOVE Ben Folds!!” She made us open the CD and pop it in the player and hit track 5 where these wonderful lyrics were recorded….

“Gracie”

You can’t fool me I saw you when you came out
You’ve got your mamma’s taste but you got my mouth
And you will always have a part of me
Nobody else is ever gonna see
Gracie girl

With your cards to your chest
Walking on your toes
What you got in the box
Only Gracie knows
And I would never try to make you be
Anything you didn’t really want to be
Gracie girl

Life flies by in seconds
You’re not a baby
Gracie, you’re my friend
You’ll be a lady soon
But until then
You gotta do what I say

Nodding off in my arms watching TV
I won’t move you an inch even though my arms asleep
One day you’re gonna want to go
I hope we taught you everything you need to know
Gracie girl

And you will always have a part of me
Nobody else is ever going to see but you and me
A little girl
My Gracie girl

All three of us were in tears by the end. I call Gracie my Gracie girl. Have you ever seen a more perfect song? Ok, I’m sure everyone has their own “perfect song” but this will follow Gracie through her entire life. Don was even saying it will be the song they dance to when she gets married. He’ll be nothing but a bucket of tears on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment