Monday, June 20, 2011

Dateline - Nashville, TN - CMA Music Fest 2011

 Everyone has a bucket list.  I never really called mine a bucket list until the term became so popular but at the top of it has always been "Attend Fan Fair (aka CMA Music Fest)".   This year the festival turned 40 and so did I.  I was destined to make the trip.   I put out an all points open invitation and my friend Mandie was brave enough to accept.  Neither of us knew exactly what to expect or how to really plan in advance but we researched the CMA Website  and made lists of who we absolutely had to see.  I also checked with a seasoned Fan Fair veteran and she gave me the following advice...  
 "Very important to look through all the information and decide what you "have" to do.. It is impossible to do everything. If you just play it by ear, you will probably miss something that you just have to do. And it will upset you then. So get as much information as you can get and plan your days.  Unless it has changed the schedules for the stars will only be posted at the booths in the exhibit hall. Write as much as you can and see how they will be running the lines. Sometimes they were by number pick-up or just first come, first serve. If you are in someone's fan club they usually have parties during the week also and this is a good way to get pictures and autographs. All of this has to be done during the same times as Music Fest(FanFair).

The most important part is pace yourself, because fatigue sets in by the end of the 2nd day.

And don't forget to attend some of the label concerts. They are wonderful and you can sit then. It is very tiring for the entire festival and you will go home that way, but worth every minute if you enjoy concerts and meeting people, which I know you do.
 
We counted down the days and on Thursday, June 9th, we set off for Music City!  We had a minor transportation blip in the morning and although it threw us off schedule, we were determined not to let it slow us down too much.  Its about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive from here and the miles faded away quickly.  Finally we could see Downtown Nashville!   Our GPS was broken but we just kept following the signs and eventually found all the action.  After paying $20 for parking at some lot way further away from the fun than we realized, we picked up our tickets and headed over to the Convention Center to see who we could see. 

After such a rough start we were very surprised to see Daryle Singletary standing there waiting to meet people with absolutely no line.  We walked right up, had a nice long chat with him and then took the first pic of the day.  A tad blurry but we were just thrilled to be there.


We saw Mark Wills signing autographs but his line was longer than we cared to stand in and there were several other opportunities during the weekend to meet him.  Besides, we had to get to Billy Dean's booth before that line got crazy. 

I have loved Billy Dean for years but especially since I saw him perform about 15 years ago here in Memphis.  That growly voice of his just kills me!  It doesn't hurt that he's incredibly handsome and sweet!   Meeting him was fabulous... he gave me a great big birthday hug and posed for pics. 
Yes, Fellow Cowgirls, you can be jealous now.  Very Very jealous. 

Our next celebrity encounter was completely by accident.  We passed the Kentucky Headhunters booth and realized the band was there... just hanging out.  Funniest group of guys you'll ever meet!  Mandie and I spent about 20 minutes talking to them and getting autographs and pictures.  We promised not to tell anyone they aren't really mean and redneck.  (Shhhh, its all part of the act.)  

 
Next to the Headhunters booth was the Grand Ole Opry Photo Booth where we met Billy... photo booth extraordinaire.   He invited us in, asked about the tiara, wished me a Happy Birthday and before we knew it we were behind the curtain documenting the moment.   Best part of the experience was Billy.  Second best part was the pictures were free.   No catch.   We decided we must make it a part of every day's experience.  I give you Day One
with fair warning that the pictures get sillier as the days pass by. 


Remember Bucky from American Idol? 
He's doing ok for himself. 

We thought about trying to meet cute little Kristin Chenoweth but her line was way too long.  I did however get the warm fuzzies watching her sign autographs for this disabled bunch.   She knelt down at each person and spoke to them at eye level. 
 It was right around this point we decided we should take the first self portrait of the weekend.  Say CHEESE! 


Next we met Bobby Dean... no relation to Billy Dean.  He and the other musician signing with him sang Happy Birthday to me and he gave me a birthday kiss but that pic is in Mandie's possession, not mine so you'll just have to believe me.  Here is documented proof of the moment afterward however.  That's one big hat. 



I'm sorry I don't remember this guy's last name...his first is Matt.  When I go back and dig through my autographs,
I'll edit the post with his correct info.  


Are you tired yet???  Our next surprise celeb was Lulu Roman of Hee Haw fame!  
I had just tried to explain Hee Haw to my husband, a native of WI.  Apparently they didn't have Hee Haw up there.  
Meeting her made me think of my Gramps... he would have loved that moment.  





We ended our time at the Convention Center where we started...hanging out with Daryl Singletary.  We found him shopping for boots and asked if we could take another pic in hopes of getting one not so blurry.  Like a good cowboy, he was happy to oblige.  

This may have ended our afternoon at the Convention Center but our day was just getting started.  However, that's a story for another day ... most likely tomorrow.  

4 comments:

  1. That's really cool Betsey. I can't wait to hear more. We went to Fan Fair back in 89 and we were able to see some of the concerts. I've never forgotten that experience. I'm so happy you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I grew up watching Hee Haw at my grandparent's house in Michigan's UP. I thought most of our channels were from WI! (Our area was closer to Wisconsin than lower Michigan.)

    Fun Day 1!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks like you had SO much FUN! I am sad to say that I don't think I know any of those people (well excpet for Kristen Chenewith and I would have probably stood in her line for 12 hrs or more. lol). I think I should start something like a bucket list - maybe a Paul McCartney concert would top mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "going" to Fan Fest through your descriptions. A lot more fun than actually going since I have no idea who these artists are. But seeing someone else love it is just as fun :)

    ReplyDelete