Saturday, June 4, 2011

Of Birthday Cake and Party Hats

In 9 days I will turn 40.  Birthdays have always been "big deals" in my family.  Whether you are turning 7 or 70 there will most likely be cards, presents, a big dinner, and most of the time an actual party - complete with pointy hats.   Most years I plan my own party and this is ok with me.  My hubby gets stressed out enough just trying to figure out what to buy for a gift so the whole party planning thing is way more than he can take.  I started a routine a few years ago where I invite all my girlfriends out for lunch or dinner and a chick flick.  I get time away from being a mom and just get to be Betsey for a few hours and spend some quality time with the girls.  But this year, I'm turning 40.  I really wanted a bigger celebration.  So, I decided that this was the year I would finally make it to Nashville's Fan Fair aka CMA Music Fest.  I leave this coming Thursday and can't wait for four days of meeting my favorite country music artists and back to back concerts.  I told Don this was present enough for me and that he was off the hook when it came to planning anything else.  He let me know that he at least wanted us to have a "date night", especially since we had yet to celebrate Valentine's Day or our April wedding anniversary.

So tonight I got all gussied up and ready for my sweet night out with my husband at some mysterious location.   He dropped the kids off at my mom's and we stopped by our church to pick up a coupon from a friend for the restaurant we were headed to.  In the back of my head I thought maybe, just maybe, some friends might surprise me and show up at dinner.  Never did I expect what really happened next.

We headed to an upstairs room in the church because that's where Corey, the friend with the "coupon", was working on sets for Vacation Bible School.   Don was in front of me and the church was mostly dark with only 2 cars in the parking lot.   He opened the door to the classroom and from there it was like a dream.   There was a sea of faces from all walks of my life. I felt the heat rise in my cheeks. I saw my mom in her sparkly sequin shirt.  My girls ran up and gave me hugs.  I looked to the right and tried my best to take in who was there.  The greatest surprise came when I looked to my left and sitting behind a friend from church was my sweet best friend from high school, Kelli.   It was then that I felt the tears well up in my eyes.  She lives in Jackson, MS which is 4 hours from here.   She just happened to be in town this weekend to bring her kids up to see her mom and for her to carve time out for me in all of that was overwhelming.   My other high school Kelly was there too... on HER 40th birthday... she chose to spend it with me!  Wow!

There were photographers and I will anxiously await the appearance of incriminating pictures.   Normally I'm the one behind the camera so to entrust others to capture the moments is a big feat for me.

There was food and cake - two cakes! -  and even a chocolate chip cookie decorated with pink and purple icing.  There were balloons and party hats and a DJ (thank you sweet friend Corey!).   Oh, and of course I had a tiara (thanks Mom!!)  Oh and a hot pink Boa!  (Mom again!)    There were Hallmark cards, and non Hallmark cards, and messages written on pretty handmade cards (Mom!!!) and a beautiful box to keep them all in.

We did the Electric Slide, the Cha Cha Slide, the Cupid Shuffle and the Boot Scootin Boogie.  We danced until we couldn't dance anymore.  I showed off moves I didn't know I had.  I danced with friends and I danced alone.  I danced with wild abandon for two hours straight.  My feet hurt but it was so worth it!  We sang at the top of our lungs with  MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and Grease's Summer Lovin.  

Yes, we did the Chicken Dance! 

The only downside to a party like that is not having enough individual time with each person who took time out of their day to make my day special.  I know I hugged everyone in the room but I wish I had had the chance to visit more with everyone.  I'm overwhelmed and touched and just feeling really blessed.    I went out after the party with two sweet friends and dined on white cheese dip and guacamole and we dug through my box and read all of my "memory" cards.   I keep trying to think of a better word than overwhelmed but truly, that fits the best.  My mom always talks about "making a memory" and tonight we did just that.  I'll never forget this night for as long as I live and I can't wait to see what 40 brings next!!!

1 comment:

  1. Blogs need like buttons. Nuff' said.

    I really wish I could have been there last night!

    --Pete

    ReplyDelete