Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Question of Faith

I was born a "Believer".  Sure my parents taught me,  molded me and took me to church but I'm pretty sure there has not been one day in my life where I was not absolutely positive I am a creation of the Almighty God.  Even as a teenager, in the midst of teen drama and heartache, God was always there with me.  Even as an adult when my first marriage failed and I was left a single mother, not quite sure what my next step would be, God was with me.  Even in 2007 when my husband was transferred to St. Louis (the girls were 9 and 2), I was battling thyroid disease, our church was falling apart, and the housing market was crashing, God was right there with me.  I never had a doubt. 

Imagine my surprise then when my 16 year old told me she has decided there might not be a God.  I was shocked.  I responded exactly as all the blogs and experts tell you not to.  "Don't Panic", they say.  I wondered what went wrong.... should I have made her go to church more regularly?  Should I have insisted on Youth Group even though she felt uncomfortable there?  How did I fail her as a parent, especially in the one category I tried so hard to make sure I mastered.  I fussed rather loudly, I questioned, and yes, made her feel terrible for trusting me enough to tell me.  It was a knee jerk reaction and one for which I am so deeply sorry. 

This kid of mine is so fascinating.  Her brain is filled with things I've never thought about.  She is a deep thinker and can argue anyone about anything she feels strongly about.  I on the other hand hate to argue for any reason, especially with her... she makes very valid points that are difficult to dispute with anything besides "because I'm the Mom, that's why!".  She is strong and sensitive at the same time.  She is a lover of music and animals.  She will love fiercely the people who love her but is guarded with her heart.  You are lucky to be in her circle for it is small and tight.  She is a dreamer and a realist.  She is my heart outside of my body.  That being said, I realize she is NOT me.  She has always lived to the beat of her own drum.  My daughter is one of the most independent, "high spirited", ok, strong willed, passionate people I have ever met.  She knows what she wants out of life and I truly believe nothing will stop her from achieving every goal she sets for herself.

Ironically, she is also my Miracle.  She is one of the things in life that solidified my belief in God.  You see, we tried for 2 1/2 years to have a baby.  Back then they weren't so quick to offer fertility treatments but that was our next step.  However in late September of 1997 I found out that I was 26 weeks, 5 days pregnant.  Yes, that's almost 7 months.  10 weeks later I was holding my beautiful baby girl.  I've always thought it was God's way of saying "ok my child, you've been patient, here is your baby".  Good thing patience is one of my strong suits because I've needed it every day since then!

I've had a few days to process all of this now and I know its going to be ok.  Not everyone is born a Believer.  Not everyone who believes keeps believing.  Not everyone who questions is a Non-Believer.  My husband was in his 30's before he became a Christian.  No my dear child, I have no physical proof I can give to you that there is a God and I know that is what you seek.  I'm not sure why I don't and never have required physical proof.  I realize I'm a rare breed.  And again, you are not me.  One of the hardest parts of being a parent is letting go enough to let your child discover their own beliefs and trust that you've done a good enough job that they aren't going to turn into a delinquent.  The other times I've had to do the letting go have been easier... stuff like letting you learn not to turn on your cell phone during school or letting you struggle in a relationship without butting in too much.  This one is hard for me and I hope you can respect that.  But I'm trying.  What I do want to say is keep asking questions.  Keep reading books and blogs, listening to friends, teachers, adults you trust.   Keep digging and exploring different faiths and beliefs.   You have a whole long life ahead of you and I trust that you will discover whatever it is your heart is supposed to discover.  I believe God has a plan for your life.  I will never stop praying for you.  I believe you are my living, breathing, feisty Miracle.   Even if you don't believe that right now or ever, I hope you will believe that your parents will ALWAYS believe in you!   We will always be here to talk, to listen, to hug, to console, to laugh with, to support you.  We will always love you UNCONDITIONALLY with arms wide open.  And one day, if you decide God might really be there after all, you'll see that His arms are wide open too. 

2 comments:

  1. This is such an important, beautiful, powerful, and insightful post. My first thought was how wonderful it was that she was able to tell you this and share her deepest thoughts. That alone opens doors, windows, and many a locked gate with a parent/child...or ANY relationship. I know it was a tough one for your heart but your feisty Miracle is just carving out her own path through these early days of her personal journey. I believe that one of these days, her faith will likely blow all of ours out of the water. Love you, Bets. P.S. I think you are such a great mom!! ~ Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to gather my thoughts for you and find a quiet moment to write them for you. Praying for you both. Xo crissy

    ReplyDelete