Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My proof there IS a God - Part Deux

I spent the weekend at the Mid-South Great Banquet.  Its a 72 hour renewal weekend and I went as a guest in October of 2004.  This is the fourth team I have worked on and every weekend has its own unique spirit filled moments.  There are 15 talks during the weekend and after each talk we discuss in small groups and then make a poster or come up with a skit to share with the rest of the group later that evening.   

Saturday's first talk was about making time to study God's Word.  The speaker mentioned how there are so many resources available to us including countless Bible translations.  Our table decided to do a skit.   I was the owner of a bookstore and a customer came in trying to find a Bible she could understand.  One of my life verses is Matthew 11:28-30 and we decided I would show the customer that verse in three different translations.  

The first was the NIV which says this :   
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
 The gal playing the customer said she was really confused about why the pastor was talking about eggs in the sermon.  The routine went on for several minutes.   Everyone thought it was hilarious.  Trust me.  It was a "you had to be there" kind of moment.   As we read the verse from two other versions she realized it wasn't about eggs at all. 

The New Century Version says this:
28 "Come to me, all of you who are tired and have heavy loads, and I will give you rest. 29 Accept my teachings and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit, and you will find rest for your lives. 30 The burden that I ask you to accept is easy; the load I give you to carry is light."
And my personal favorite, The Message Translation, puts it like this -
28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
The next day at the closing service for the retreat, the pastor had a short message before Communion.  As she started to read Matthew 11:28-30, the solemn room burst into laughter.   She was REALLY confused since she had missed the poster party the night before.   She stopped long enough for us to settle back down and read another verse  - Galatians 5:1 which says
1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
 As soon as she said yoke we cracked up again.   Poor Missy.  She had no idea what was so funny.

We completed the service and I immediately went to Missy to explain the outbursts.  She chuckled and said "When I prayed this morning, those are the verses He gave to me."  

Coincidence?  I think not.  If anyone knows when we humans need a laugh, its God. 

1 comment:

  1. I love it when God shows his sense of humor. What fun.

    ReplyDelete