Friday, August 16, 2019

Long Live the King

"Rock and roll music, if you like it, if you feel it, you can't help but move to it. That's what happens to me. I can't help it." - Elvis Presley

Where were you when you heard Elvis died?

I was only 6 but I was already a fan. We had just moved to Memphis and when the news came out we loaded up our station wagon and headed to Graceland.   It was pouring down rain but there we stood with hundreds of other Memphians and news crews.  I got my first Elvis album the day I broke my leg.  I was 8.  I listened to it over and over and memorized all the songs.  Teddy Bear and Hound Dog were my favorites back then.  Now I think if I HAD to choose I'd say American Trilogy or Rubberneckin are at the top.   To this day his voice warms my soul. I know he wasn't a perfect human being but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be remembered. Worshiped? Of course not. But today I will listen to my Elvis music and sing along loudly. I'm from Memphis but I would love him no matter where I lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment