Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Cowboy

Once upon a time, a boy gave me a box filled with amazing things along with a letter explaining them all. There were crystal flower candlesticks in the hopes I'd always have flowers. And of course, candles so that I'd always have light (and remember him when the electricity went out). There was a Dopey musical figurine so that I would always have music in my life as well as the happiness and magic of a Disney movie. The last thing in the box was an empty heart trinket box. In the letter, he said, "Right now it is empty, but as you fill it, I hope your own heart is filled and is never empty again."

A year ago today, that boy who grew into an amazing man, left us. He still brings me gifts though. I see him in yellow butterflies (not sure why that's his symbol but it is), I hear his laughter - the deepest belly laugh you can imagine. I feel his encouragement that was with me in good times and bad over our 30-year friendship. I think of him when I watch baseball, when I listen to old school country music, and when I say something completely sarcastic. He showed me great love and kindness and I hope he knew how much he meant to me.
There were times we fell out of touch but it was never for long and it was always as if no time had passed. He was my Cowboy. I'd love the chance to sit on his porch again in the country and be mesmerized by the stars after enjoying a dinner of good ol home cooking. Remembering you Rick. Wishing you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment