Saturday, June 9, 2007

Under the Big Top


We went to the circus this weekend and it turned out to be a very emotional experience for me.  Um, its the circus, Bets... what's so freakin emotional about a circus you might ask?  Ok, are you ready for this?   When I was 20, I became an honorary member of the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus.  No, I don't know how to fly on a trapeeze and I certainly don't know how to tame a lion.  I'd always thought about Clown College but that's not it either.
This is a confession of a Circus Bride.  Yes, I got married in a three ring ceremony.  I entered an essay contest on Why I Wanted my Wedding to be the Greatest Show on Earth and to my amazement, I won!   Brian and I got married right before a performance at the Mid South Coliseum.  He and his best man rode in on elephants and I had a horse drawn carriage.   We had 15 clown and 15 showgirls as our attendants.  Little did I know the marriage would be more of a circus than the ceremony was.  Oh, and for the record, we were the second non-circus couple to be married under the Big Top.  Unfortunately most of the pictures aren't great but you'll get the idea. 
Brian and his best man at the rehearsal... Brian is on the left.

The real deal...

The Bride

Hamming it up on the carriage...


This clown had the right idea!!

Don't you love the bridesmaids dresses?  LOL!!

Hard to keep a straight face when you're surrounded by clowns!

Off to Happily Ever for a year or two... if even that.... but the wedding sure as hell was fun!!!!!


So, that's my deep dark confession.  And yes, being at the circus on Saturday brought all of those memories flooding back.  The clowns, the showgirls, the elephants.... what a day that was!  The marriage ended after 10 years but I got a beautiful daughter from the experience and therefore wouldn't change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment