Friday, October 24, 2008

War

I spent the morning at the funeral of a young man who was 28. He was a soldier in the US Army and spent 15 months in Iraq but was recently training at Ft. Benning. No one knows what happened yet although he’s had issues with drugs in his past. It was a full fledged military funeral. 21 gun salute, Taps, flag presented to the mother… very touching. It was hard to watch his fellow soldiers break down in tears as they hugged Justin’s mother. They each presented her with a carnation. The whole thing just gave me goosebumps and made me think about our servicemen and women. My father was a Marine so I’ve always had a high respect for the Military but I think sometimes I forget what a sacrifice it really is for the soldiers and for the families that are left behind while their loved ones go off to foreign lands. My dad went to Vietnam not once, but twice. He has never spoken about it to this day. I wonder if he would be a different man had he not seen whatever it was he saw over there. But that’s another post.

Take a minute today to remember our freedoms and the people who fight to keep those freedoms intact. God Bless the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment