Friday, March 14, 2008

As most of you know, its been a really long year for me (more than a year if you want to get technical).  I've been on thyroid medication since June and my numbers are finally where they should be.  However, I'm still having some pretty annoying symptoms and I'm down to two options.  I can get off the medication and see if I go into remission (most people don't and those who do don't stay there for longer then a couple of months) or I can have radioactive iodine therapy.  I've chosen the latter.

Next Wednesday I'll report to the hospital and swallow a radioactive pill.  That whole process will take all of 15 minutes. The next day I'll go back and have what's called a radioactive iodine scan and uptake.  Its the same test I had when I was first diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.  Basically its a nuclear image of my thyroid and a measurement of the amount of radiotracer my body absorbs..   Once they get my "uptake" number, they will decide how much radiation I need and will give me another pill.  That's when the fun starts.   From that point on, I'll be radioactive.   I'll have to spend several days isolated from others but the actual number of days depends on the amount of radioactive material they have to give me.  Nearly all the radioactive iodine should leave my body in the first two days but according to the hospital I'll have to be separated from the girls for at least three days. My other restrictions include using separate bathroom facilities for several days and flushing twice, washing hands frequently, drink lots of water (to flush the RI out), use plastic eating utensils, sleep alone, launder separately, and don't cook for others (darn!).   Guess its a good thing I have that extensive DVD collection I keep meaning to watch! 

The point of all of this is to kill my thyroid and make me hypothyroid.  That condition comes with its own set of problems but is highly treatable and much more easily controlled than hyperthyroidism.  The treatment usually takes one to three months to become effective and maximum benefit will occur between three and six months after treatment.  I'll have bloodwork every few weeks until my levels stabalize and then I'll have to take thyroid hormone replacement pills for the rest of my life...
a small price to pay for some normalcy. 

As for recovery, some people experience a small amount of pain (like a sore throat) that can be treated with over the counter meds.  They also recommend keeping hard candy around to prevent dry mouth.  I stocked up on Life Savers today but if anyone comes across a bag of Wild Cherry ones, send them my way please.  I'm not fond of all the "new" flavors.  I much prefer plain old lemon, lime, orange, and cherry. 

If you're not doing anything next Thursday, Friday or Saturday, feel free to call and catch up.  I think I'm going to have plenty of time on my hands.  And if you don't mind, prayers for the logistical side of all of this and good thoughts in general would be appreciated.  

Here's to a happier, healthier Me coming soon!
Feel free to ask questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment